Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District – Carrollton, Texas
Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District (CFBISD) is a school district based in Carrollton, Texas, United States. The district covers most of the cities of Carrollton and Farmers Branch and parts of Addison, Coppell, Dallas, and Irving (including Valley Ranch and the Western part of Las Colinas). CFBISD has twenty-four elementary schools, six middle schools, five high schools, and three education centers.
Recently, the school district began the process of Limited Open Enrollment, allowing students living outside the boundaries of the school district to apply to attend the district.
In 2010 and 2011, the school district was rated “recognized” by the Texas Education Agency.
The district encompasses 53.42 square miles (138.4 km2) and is located primarily in Dallas County with a smaller portion in Denton County. The school district’s boundaries are not the same as municipal boundaries; therefore, Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District provides instructional services to children who live in portions of Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Addison, Coppell, Dallas, and Irving.
Dr. John Chapman is the current Superintendent taking over after the retirement of Dr. Bobby Burns in July 2018.
Farmers Branch Independent School District consolidated with the Carrollton ISD in 1954. Prior to that, the two cities operated separate school systems, although only Carrollton’s went through the twelfth grade; Farmers Branch students had to decide in eighth grade if they wanted to attend high school in Carrollton or at Hillcrest High School in Dallas.
The merger coincided with the beginning of 30 years of rapid growth for the two cities. At the time of the merger, there were three schools operating: Carrollton Elementary (opened in 1951), Carrollton High School (opened in 1936 and now DeWitt Perry Middle School), and the original Farmers Branch School (opened in 1904) on Valley View Road. In the next decade, the district built four new elementary schools – Valwood in 1955, R.E. Good in 1956, Webb Chapel in 1959, and Stark in 1964. The first dedicated junior high school, Vivian Field, opened in Farmers Branch in 1960.
In 1962, the R.L. Turner High School campus was opened on Josey Lane, on the border between Carrollton and the Farmers Branch. At that point, Carrollton High School was renamed for DeWitt Perry and became the district’s second junior high campus.
School construction continued apace for another ten years – Central Elementary in 1965, Farmers Branch Elementary in 1967, Blanton Elementary in 1971, and Woodlake (now June R. Thompson) Elementary in 1974. In 1975 two more elementary schools, Country Place and Dale B. Davis were opened. The first phase of Newman Smith High School – the district’s second high school campus – was finished in 1975 as well. The campus served grades 8–12 until North Carrollton Junior High School (now Dan F. Long Middle School) opened in 1979.
With the southern half of the district now built out, growth shifted northward in the late 1970s and 1980s, with McCoy Elementary (1978), Furneaux Elementary (1980), Rosemeade Elementary (1983), Sheffield Elementary (changed to Sheffield Primary in 1989) along with Blalack Junior High (1985) and Sheffield Intermediate (1989) opened to handle the increased enrollment.
In 1986 the first school west of Interstate 35E, Las Colinas Elementary, was opened. Kent Elementary (1989), McKamy Elementary (1993), and Rainwater Elementary (1994) were also opened. After years of searching for a suitable site, the third high school, Creekview, was opened in 1998.
In the 1990s the district decided to switch to a “middle school” concept, moving sixth-graders from elementary schools to the former junior high campuses. All four existing middle schools were expanded and Ted Polk (1997) and Barbara Bush (1998) middle schools were added.
Much of the latest growth has occurred on the district’s west side, with Tom Landry Elementary (1996), Riverchase Elementary (2000), Ranchview High School (2002), Freeman Elementary (2004), Kelly Pre-K Center (2007), and La Villita Elementary (2008) being constructed. Rapid growth in older areas necessitated the addition of McWhorter Elementary (2001), Dave Blair Intermediate (2002), and Nancy Strickland Intermediate (2008).
CANE ROSSO – CARROLLTON, TEXAS