Trinity Park – Fort Worth, Texas
Stretched along the banks of the Trinity River and nestled next to the Fort Worth Zoo, Trinity Park is home to a duck pond, a miniature train, several playgrounds, and Trinity Trails, the best hiking and biking trails around town. Picnic pavilions, restrooms, and water fountains are scattered throughout the park.
Trinity Park is a spacious, 252-acre outdoor space that’s equipped with a variety of amenities, including a basketball court, a playground, and water features. This municipal park, which sits along the Trinity River, was the first parkland in the city. It includes walking and bike paths that connect to a 100-plus mile paved trail network known as the Trinity River Trails. Amenities like restrooms, water fountains, and picnic areas make it easy to pass an entire afternoon here.
The park has benefited from the construction of walking/bike paths along the Trinity River that connect it to other parks and public spaces along the river. The Trinity River Trails is a network of over 100 miles of paved trails connecting Fort Worth to many other surrounding cities. In fact, one can walk or ride a bike to Dallas along this trail network, with few interludes onto roadways!
Within the Trinity Park, a dreamy playground offers exploration, excitement, and fun. Dream Park is a playground designed to accommodate children of all needs, mobility, and abilities. Families and friends alike enjoy the duck pond at the park. During the winter, many species of waterfowl use the pond including American wigeon, lesser scaup, northern shoveler, and wood duck.
Trinity Park is located about 2 miles southwest of downtown on the eastern side of the Cultural District. It can be reached by car, the No. 2 bus, or TheDash bus. The park is free to visit and open daily from 5 a.m. until 11:30 p.m.
In January 1955, members of the Fort Worth Anglers Club funded the enlargement of the pond in the park, converting it from a “casting pool . . . into a fishing lake” that had a depth of three and one-half feet and covered approximately two acres. It was stocked with fish from the Eagle Mountain hatchery. Club members believed that the improved lake would be a good influence on the city’s boys and girls by providing them with a place where they could learn to fish. On June 12, 1959, the Forest Park Miniature train was opened to the public. A five-mile-long loop connected Forest Park with Trinity Park.
In 1978, the Trinity Park shelter was renovated after which the city council approved the presentation of two Shakespearean plays on the shelter’s stage, inaugurating the first season of “Shakespeare in the Park.” This summer tradition continued through the 2001 season. A community event that has outlived Shakespeare in the Park is Mayfest. It was started in 1973 at a time when Fort Worth was rediscovering the Trinity River. Sponsoring organizations were the Junior League of Fort Worth, the Fort Worth Park and Recreation Department, Streams and Valleys, and the Tarrant County Regional Water District. Mayfest has grown to a four-day event and attracts 200,000 visitors to the park annually.