Vickery Meadow – Dallas, Texas
Vickery Meadow is an ethnically diverse neighborhood consisting almost exclusively of apartment complexes in Northeast Dallas, Texas, United States. The Midtown Improvement District states the neighborhood is bounded by Northwest Highway, Royal Lane, Central Expressway, and Abrams.
The City of Dallas Office of Economic Development states that the boundaries of the Vickery Meadow Tax Increment Financing district, which was established in 2005, are “the east side of the intersection of US 75 (Central Expressway) and Park Lane and extends eastward along Park Lane to the ‘Five Points’ intersection at Park Lane, Fair Oaks Avenue, and Ridgecrest Road.”
Leslie Minora of the Dallas Observer described it as “a dense swath of about 100 apartment complexes cradled by NorthPark Center and Whole Foods to the west and Half Price books to the south. It’s an overlooked anthill, population 25,000, packed with people here by circumstance.”
Vickery Meadow is a neighborhood in Dallas, Texas with a population of 20,845. Vickery Meadow is in Dallas County. Living in Vickery Meadow offers residents an urban feel and most residents rent their homes. In Vickery Meadow, there are a lot of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and parks. Many families and young professionals live in Vickery Meadow and residents tend to be liberal. The public schools in Vickery Meadow are above average.
Vickery Meadow North real estate is primarily made up of small (studio to two bedroom) to medium-sized (three or four bedroom) apartment complexes/high-rise apartments and single-family homes. Most of the residential real estate is renter-occupied. Many of the residences in the Vickery Meadow North neighborhood are newer, built in 2000 or more recently. Several residences were also built between 1970 and 1999.
Vickery was at a site that is now on Loop 12, State Highway 75, Interstate Highway 635, the Southern Pacific line, and the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas line in north-central Dallas County. It was located on the original land grants of W. Jenkins, D. Barrow, N. McGraney, and W. P. Wyche. The area was originally settled by John J. and William Jenkins in the 1850s, and a small settlement began to develop around the Jenkins homes. The Houston and Texas Central Railway was built through the community in 1873, but by 1900 it was still a small settlement of a few scattered houses.
In the early 1900s before World War I, John E. Vickery laid out and promoted a townsite, which received a post office in 1912. Ten years later the community had 200 residents, six food and drug stores, four automobile repair shops, three churches, a bank, a cotton gin, a dining hall, and a public school. It had no water or fire department facilities. The population of Vickery fluctuated between a high of 800 in 1927 to a low of 200 in 1933. By 1939 the number of residents had increased to 650, and by 1941, to 1,000. Dallas annexed the community in March 1945.